5 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 green onions, sliced
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
sour cream (optional)
- In large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp. Drain all but 2 Tbsp of bacon grease from pot.
- Cook onions in remaining grease for 5 minutes until tender
- Add potatoes and chicken stock to pot. Bring to boil and simmer until thick. Slowly stir into stock pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 3/4 bacon and 1/2 green onions to pot. Add pepper. Stir to combine. Cook additional 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, top with cheese, bacon, green onions and optional sour cream.